The Atomos Ninja 2 Video Recorder is an HDMI recorder and 800 x 480 resolution monitor that records up to 1080/30p/60i resolution directly from your camera's sensor to an HDD or SSD in Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD edit-ready codecs. Color precision records at 10-bit, even from an 8-bit sensor, and color sampling at 4:2:2. Recording an 8-bit signal in 10-bit won't increase the quality of the signal but will let you work with the signal in post-production as if it's 10-bit, meaning you can add effects and not see jagged lines and other artifacts. Being able to record direct from the sensor lets you bypass your camera's compression and instead have the first compression be in an edit-ready codec. Generally, the less compressions, the less image degradation.
The operating system is AtomOS 3.0, featuring sophisticated focus and exposure tools and SmartLog, which lets you log in and out points on your footage and tag clips with keywords such as "good shot" and "bad shot."
Get your Atmos Ninja 2 Video Recorder for just $695
For a list of compatible cameras, please visit Atomos.com/support, and click on Knowledge Base.
- 10-bit 4:2:2 / 220Mbps / 2.5" HDD or SSD
- The Ninja-2 takes any uncompressed HD or SD source and encodes it in real-time to 10-bit, 4:2:2 Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD at up to 220Mbps.
Because Ninja is portable, it can record from the ultimate image source, the sensor of the camera.
Recording is always in 10-bit, even from an 8-bit source. Color registries are added for integration into higher bit-depth graphics from CG, animation and special effects. This avoids banding and makes editing and grading, in fact any precision effect, more accurate.
- AtomOS 3.0 Touchscreen
- The real power of the Ninja 2 comes from AtomOS -- an innovative and intuitive operating system.
- Access all of the Ninja 2's operations via the fast, responsive touch interface -- everything is one touch away: one-touch recording, one-touch monitoring, one-touch review, etc.
- Volume Display
- Lets you adjust the volume of the professional quality headphone amplifier.
- Audio Meters
- Touch audio meters to adjust 4 channels of audio.
- Current Input Format
- Displays native format from source signal, for example -- 1080i 59.94.
- Recording Format
- Select the variety of ProRes or Avid DNxHD codec you are recording to /
Avid DNxHD-220X (10-bit), DNxHD-220 (8-bit), DNxHD-145 (8-bit), DNxHD-36 Proxy (8-bit) + all ProRes options.
- Continuous Power Battery Indicator
- Shows which battery is currently being used to power the Ninja 2. You are free to replace the one that isn't being used, the active battery is illuminated orange.
- Choose between On Board, Time of Day, Record Run or Auto Restart timecode modes or utilize external timecode from camera or any source input.
- Unit Name
- Name your Ninja 2 by project or camera. Media drives and recorded files are subsequently named with the unit name upon formatting.
- Time Remaining
- Shows remaining record time. Remaining time is calculated dynamically and is based on the bitrate of the current recording format and the memory capacity of the HDD/SSD in use.
- Inputs / Outputs
- HDMI input & output
- Accurately assess focus and exposure with:
False Color Twin Mode
Blue Only - exposure check
Control - adjustments for individual filters
- Log in and out points on your footage and tag these clips with keywords such as 'good shot', 'bad shot' etc.
With the Ninja 2 this part of the post production process can now be done on set, or on the move, with Continuous Power.
SmartLog operates while in Monitor or Playback mode / it saves time, money and allows fast, collaborative pre-editing prior to final post production.
- Master Caddy Slot
- Simple, locking HDD/SSD system / a safe, practical solution to media management.
- HDD or SSD
- Choose inexpensive 2.5" hard disk drives (spinning disks) for 90% of projects and Flash-based SSDs for rough terrain or high security use.
A 750GB/5400rpm drive holds up to 16 hours of high quality Apple ProRes footage.
HDD: Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba
SSD: Intel, OCZ, Cruise