Digital Video is on the move with mobile
Based on data recorded by the Adobe® Marketing Cloud customers, video consumption has grown dramatically over the past two years. To put that into context, the 15 billion video streams measured in Q4 of 2012 are 11 times more than all of the U.S. movie ticket sales in 2012
• Digital video consumption has grown 30% year over year in Q4 2012.
• From Q3 to Q4 2012 alone, video consumption grew 13%.
• There has been 50% growth in video streams since Q1 2011.
• New TV and sports content drove the highest growth in video streams in Q4 2012.
Find ways to create personalized digital video experiences for your viewers, visitors, and advertisers. While most videos are consumed on PCs, views on mobile devices have tripled from 2011 to 2012. Look for opportunities to weave more video content into your marketing channels, such as social media.
Mobile video consumption is on the rise. By Q4 2012, mobile video starts—including both smartphones and tablets—have tripled year over year and currently account for over 10% of total digital video starts.
• Video starts on smartphones tripled year over year from 2011 to 2012.
• Tablet video consumption slightly out paced smartphones in video starts.
The growing mobile audience provides incremental engagement and revenue opportunities for advertising. Tablet viewers, in particular, are early adopters who typically spend more money, book more trips, and consume more media content. Publishers can capitalize on this target audience with high CPMs and incremental impressions
Video consumption on smartphones has peaks and valleys
throughout the week. But with tablets, there’s a clear
pattern of more video being watched on the weekends.
• Video content watched on smartphones is driven by “content snacking,” such as news, weather, and sports clips. It’s more likely to be consumed outside the home.
• Tablet video consumption is more likely to happen at home and through a WiFi connection, as well as consumed in longer periods in a single session.
Know what your tablet customers are watching. On the weekend, they’re streaming live sports, movies, and television shows—programs with traditionally longer run times. This should affect how and where you place and sell ads